These homeowners purchased a short sale house that had been vacant for several years. They called us in to carry out needed repairs and cosmetic changes.
Home repair goals and challenges
- Oftentimes, short sale homes have issues that might not be apparent on the surface. We wanted to conduct needed repairs and ensure that the home was safe for its new owners.
- Since the home sat vacant for a number of years, it had many minor issues that stemmed from neglect, water damage, and simple lack of use.
- We refinished hardwood floors that had sustained moisture damage.
- We removed neglected planters from the stucco exterior, repaired damaged stucco and refinished the beadboard porch ceiling to bring it back to its former glory.
- Since the bathrooms had not been used, caulking and seals in the tubs and showers had dried and cracked; we removed the old materials and replaced it with new, more efficient sealants.
- Wood steps leading into the media room had never been trimmed out, so we custom made flexible trim to match the existing woodwork.
- In the course of our review, we discovered some squirrel damage in the attic. Squirrels had eaten the casing off several electrical wires that led to the exterior spotlights, leaving the wires exposed. Fortunately, no one had turned these lights on in the past few years, because they would have posed a serious fire hazard if they did. We repaired the wiring and prevented the squirrels from getting back inside.
- In the kitchen, we refinished several cabinet doors that had sustained water damage.
- We updated lighting fixtures throughout the home as needed, and patched and repainted all interior walls and ceilings.
- A simple but major change happened in the master closet, where we replaced an outdated fluorescent fixture with new recessed canned lights. Now the homeowners, both of whom had medical issues, can clearly see in their master closet.
- In all, we went through quite a laundry list of repairs – mainly cosmetic, but some that would have caused damage if left unaddressed. Whenever you are dealing with a home that has been left unattended for any amount of time, it’s prudent to call in a licensed, professional remodeler who will take the time to ensure that repairs are done correctly, needed upgrades are made, and that no serious underlying issues are present.