Master Bathroom Remodel – Water leaks spark termite repairs
This Charlotte area homeowner realized that he had water issues in his master bathroom stemming from a leaky toilet and shower valve. When he opened up the floor to examine the extent of the damage, he quickly realized that he was in over his head and called Palmer Custom Builders.
Project goals and challenges
- We initially came into this project to repair water damage in the master bathroom.
- We quickly realized that the water damage had fed a more invasive problem: termites. So we set about correcting the issue in every area of the home that was impacted.
Termite repair solutions
- A leaky toilet and shower valve caused extensive water damage in this home’s master bathroom. To repair it, we first literally had to gut the bathroom down to the studs, cutting out the entire floor system and removing an acrylic shower.
- Once we removed all the damaged materials, we rebuilt the floor system and walls, added a new shower and corrected the plumbing issues that were the source of the trouble.
- In the meantime, we examined some other areas of the home and were astonished at what we found. The termite damage had spread to the laundry room, where we again gutted and replaced floors. One root of the problem was that the Heating and Air Conditioning condensation line in the crawl space was blocked, so moisture from the AC unit was actually coming up from the crawl space under the master bath and laundry room. The ductwork and the framing were all soaking wet. To correct the underlying issues, we cleared the line, then installed a dehumidifier and piped the water outside to dry out the crawlspace.
- Improperly installed gutters on the front of the home had led to water runoff dripping down onto the front porch. In addition, the yard was sloped so that water was running toward the front of the house. Although the homeowner had attempted to channel the water away from the home’s front façade, it was too late. Water had gotten into the floor joists and created the perfect habitat for termites. Ultimately, we replaced 45’ of bandsill and floor joists along the front of the house.
- When we moved out into the garage, we realized the entire perimeter of the 2-car structure was eaten up by termites, so we proceeded to make structural and cosmetic repairs there as well.
- After the structural repairs were completed, we called in an exterminator to eliminate the underlying termite issues.