These homeowners wanted to enjoy their backyard in a setting that provided some shelter from the elements and a gracious space for entertaining. A new pergola and beautiful covered porch with an outdoor fireplace were just the transformative additions this home needed.
Palmer’s Project Goals and Challenges
- The existing patio and deck seemed disconnected from each other and distant, so the task was to create multiple functional areas that worked together to form a single, extensive outdoor living area.
- Before work could begin on covered porch, we had to rebuild the water damaged and rotten band sill, wall framing and sub floor in order to install new French door units and make the house structurally sound.
- Necessary repairs were made, and flashing installed to prevent the problem from happening again.
- A pergola with a sitting area was created where the existing patio once was. A fountain adds the soothing sound of moving water to this charming space.
- In place of the existing deck, a lovely covered porch was created to offer true shelter from the afternoon sun. An outdoor fireplace occupies one side of the porch, while a trellis creates an architecturally striking privacy screen. For added relaxation, a swing was installed under the covered porch.
- To tie the spaces together, both physically and visually, a concrete paver patio was installed.