These clients needed more functional space connected to their existing home, wanted to create useable space in the backyard, and required more storage for their expanding family. They loved their neighborhood and wooded lot, so an addition offered the best solution.
Palmer’s Project Goals and Challenges
- A very large tree and its stump were removed in the rear of the home to accommodate the new addition. (The customer contracted for the tree removal and Palmer Custom Builders removed the large stump with heavy equipment.)
- We wanted to reduce the foundation cost for the client.
- We wanted to safely remove the existing rear deck and secure the upstairs area in the existing home until the new addition could be connected.
- Secure proper water drainage by installing underground drain piping and gutters on the new addition.
- Enhance natural lighting in the new rooms.
- Provide floored attic storage with easy access.
- This nice two-story, 861-square-foot addition consists of a media room, gathering room, screened-in porch and covered porch. A covered side porch entrance with a walkway was also constructed.
- An upstairs pull-down stairway was installed in the ceiling of the screened porch and attic space was floored to create a much needed storage area. A stairway was built to connect to the downstairs patio area and backyard. A brick wall was built to act as a retaining wall and to create an expanded grassed area adjacent to the lower covered concrete patio.
- The exterior was built with rough-sawn cedar siding, which was painted to match the existing house.
- New gutters were installed on the addition to control water flow and to prevent future damage.
- Lots of windows provide plentiful natural lighting and make the new areas appear even more spacious.
- The screened-in porch features a smooth surfaced ceiling and a water-resistant, Penta treated pine tongue-and-grooved floor. This product is water and insect resistant, a necessity since it will be exposed to the elements.
- After a thorough inspection of the existing HVAC system, it was determined that the existing system was sufficient to handle the two new enclosed rooms. This resulted in a cost savings to the client, since the only requirement was to run new ducts. Palmer Custom Builders saved the client additional money with the monolithic foundation pour and provided larger windows at a lower price than had originally been specified.
- The project was completed two weeks ahead of schedule and on budget.